Have you encountered a situation where your vehicle suddenly breaks down in the middle of nowhere?
Situations like these are very unpleasant, especially when you’re in a location that’s unfamiliar. The good news is, there are OBD2 scanner apps to identify the vehicle’s problem.
An OBD2 Scanner is an automated device attached to your car’s OBD2 port. Its primary function is to give reports on the condition of the vehicle.
Earlier versions only illustrated vehicles with issues using beeps but never pointed out the source of the issue.
In our present time, OBD2 Scanners do not only detect the issue. They also inform you and direct you to the exact location of the fault.
The most recent advancement in technology now makes these scanners into apps. These apps are connected to your OBD2 port to diagnose and fix whatever issue it may be.
OBD2 Apps are available for several phone brands and versions.
However, this post shall discuss the best OBD2 Apps iOS users should opt for.
Table of Contents
- Basic Features of an OBD2 App
- OBD2 Apps for iOS
Basic Features of an OBD2 App
When looking forward to having an OBD2 app do the homework, here are some things you should look out for:
- Warning after detecting problems
- Giving live data readings
- Sound maintenance alerts
- Assisting with basic information on how to fix minor problems
- Diagnosing engine faults and resetting the Check Engine Light (CEL)
- Ensure the app is compatible with the phone you use. In this case, ensure it is compatible with your iOS device. Furthermore, ensure the app works right with your vehicle before paying for it. Check the app specifications thoroughly to ensure it can serve its purpose as well.
- Pick the right app to suit your budget. There are tons of them to select from.
OBD2 Apps for iOS
Now that you know what to look for, let’s explore the best OBD2 Apps for iOS below:
1. OBD Auto Doctor
This terrific app provides you with comprehensive information on your car’s status. The OBD Auto-Doctor is also notable for its multitasking capabilities.
It allows monitoring of all control units through one means. It is compatible with the ELM327 Bluetooth and Wi-Fi adapter.
OBD Auto Doctor provides real-time data for quick and easy decisions on how to enhance your car’s health.
- This app simplifies its display of sensor data, employing graphical methods
- It works with GPS support
- There are numerous customization selections
- Works for all vehicles compatible with OBD2
- They have an ever-ready customer care team to assist with app-related issues
- There is an issue with in-app purchases like buying a separate scan tool
- There are no maintenance reminders
- It operates an expensive and complex pricing system
2. EOBD Facile
EOBD is the best OBD2 app for iOS because of its versatile functions. This app covers many vehicle issues and provides data on how to tackle them.
It includes checking your engine temperature to your ignition timing, your engine rpm, your speed, and many others. After this, it displays its results on your dashboard.
Furthermore, it supports all ELM327 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters, ensuring it tracks everything it needs to keep the car in check.
With this, it remains a high-selling app with over one million downloads since its kickoff.
- Easy, well laid out features making it quick to grasp the data readings
- It deletes faulty codes with over 11,000 code definitions in-built
- Resolves issues with engine light
- It helps plan long trip arrangements with route planning devices.
- Allows you to store information in any format
- It has no integration for USB
GoFAR is the best OBD2 app for iOS that keeps track of your car’s health during long journeys.
It carries out all functions of a basic OBD2 app features with additional attributes that make it unique from its counterparts.
It has earned marvelous ratings in stores and remains a good choice for drivers around the world.
- GoFAR is IRS compliant and helps out with tax issues
- It offers a wide variety of scanning features
- It diagnoses, tracks, and resolves issues with vehicles
- GoFAR can connect to more than one vehicle
- It is expensive
- Added features of the app come for an extra charge
This remains one of the best OBD2 apps iOS systems can use. However, DashCommand isn’t just popular for just any reason.
With its eye-catching display, features, and custom gauges, your car is good to go.
It also provides information on fuel consumption, your engine health, your car’s condition, trip statistic, and lots more.
The interface of the app is simple, making it easy to understand. It also features a Rack Track tool which helps with a view of where you’re driving.
- Its features are clear, concise, and very attractive
- It monitors your car’s state in real-time
- Connects with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- Works perfectly with all vehicles
- it can monitor more than one vehicle at a go
- It can be tedious when connecting to your network provider
- Some sophisticated displays from the app may stir up confusion for people with little technical knowledge
HobDrive is an OBD2 app for iOS that performs excellently with vehicles. Though expensive, it is partly certain to clear minor issues concerning your car.
One good quality of the app is that it goes beyond OBD2 vehicles to support some non-OBD2 vehicles like the Bosch.
- It covers all engine issues including excess fuel usage and overheating
- It supports ELM327 Bluetooth and Wifi
- Supports GPS
- The app has an easily customizable dashboard that displays your data based on your preferences
- Gives a clear explanation of its codes
- Quite expensive
- There are difficulties in making payments for specific countries
BlueDriver can work without you logging in. It scans and clears trouble codes, collecting the necessary data which you can export to your email.
Furthermore, it assesses your car’s situation and gives clear reports of this assessment. It is also one of the few that provides DIY guidelines when troubleshooting issues.
Though it features a free version, there’s the pro which offers better services.
- Capable of generating reports from readings and exporting them to mail
- It reads a variety of codes including transmission, ABS, and more
- Includes wireless Bluetooth connection
- Successfully diagnoses and resets CEL
- Incapable of monitoring more than one devices
- Its pro version is rather expensive
- Doesn’t keep tabs on routine maintenance
7. Carista OBD2 App
Carista is the best OBD2 app iOS systems can use to monitor the activities of your vehicle. This terrific app centers on setting up your car feature to diagnosing and displaying the results.
It scans and keeps tabs on issues that could affect your car while you’re driving. It also resets CEL, reads engine codes, gives live data recording, and allows for custom encoding.
Furthermore, it connects easily with all car’s operating systems. However, the app can be pretty unstable as to its operation with cars.
- It has strong customization features
- Includes a ding for warning with light control
- Allows you to access and change numerous ECU options
- It provides a detailed diagnosis of your car
- It operates differently for different vehicles
- It includes in-app purchases
8. FIXD OBD2 Scanner
This app is the creation of three brilliant engineering students from Georgia Tech. Today, it is one of the best OBD2 apps iOS operators use.
Though simple, the app has assisted people around the world to identify and fix car issues. To do this, It reports fault codes in plain English, thus, it’s easy to interpret.
FIXD is compatible with every vehicle that includes an OBD2 port. It also features a wireless connection with Bluetooth.
Furthermore, it provides DIY tutorials for troubleshooting by linking users to external sources.
- An extremely comprehensive OBD2 app
- It can monitor more than one vehicle
- Easy to use and understand
- It includes tutorials to fix car problems yourself from sources like YouTube and blog articles
- You have to purchase its advanced features
- It is quite expensive
9. OBD Fusion
Developed by OCTech, this app’s selling point is its easy operation. Additionally, it provides users with comprehensive reports on the state of the vehicle.
This app transforms your phone into a heads-up display (HUD) unit with an easily customizable dashboard.
The app also integrates with GPS tracking and enables map display.
- Tracks cars location
- Its features on the dashboard are easily customizable
- You can save and share the information it provides
- Some of its functions are extensions that you will pay for to access
- It does not work well with all vehicles
EngineLink is the best OBD2 app iOS users should consider for their vehicles. It is available at an affordable price but still performs the same functions as a typical OBD2 app.
It identifies problems, resets the CEL, and displays all data live.
Like EOBD Facile, it supports ELM327 Wifi and Bluetooth adapter as well
- The app is affordable
- It has no hidden charges
- It has a powerful graphical interface for easy data reading
- It doesn’t display sensors or trouble codes
- Has a low rating on Apple Store irrespective of its amazing qualities
Using OBD2 apps is becoming increasingly popular as it helps reduce the rate of road accidents. There is nothing more relaxing than knowing you are driving in a safe car. Therefore, get yourself one of the best OBD2 apps for iOS today and put that car on the road.