On average, minivans weigh some 7% less than average cars and Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs.) Nonetheless, some minivans are weighty than average cars.
This is because of the expanded interior and ample seat spaces. In other words, an eight-seater minivan would weigh much higher than a three-seater car, and the 2022 Honda Odyssey is a prime example.
A car has an average weight of 2,850 pounds. Likewise, an average SUV weighs roughly 4,800 pounds. But how much does a minivan weigh?
In this brief article, we have gathered all the relevant information about the weight of average minivans.
By the end of this article, you will be able to:
- Know the gross weight of a minivan.
- See the average weight of the latest minivan models.
- Walkthrough how and why minivans are heavier than other automobiles.
- Decide the best weighing minivan
How Much Does A Minivan Weigh?
Knowing how much does a minivan weigh is inevitable. Whether you are a new minivan shopper or an old driver – who knows his way around – knowing the weight of your minivan is important.
It gives you a gauge of the engine, entire body, exterior, interior, and accessories. Likewise, it gives a first-hand idea of the features of the entire vehicle.
On average, minivans weigh from 3850 to 4950 pounds – roughly 1800 t0 2900 kilograms. However, recent researchers conclude that 4522 pounds are the average weight of almost all minivans across all models.
However, it is pertinent to mention here that the weight of minivans largely depends on the make and model.
Likewise, the intend of the manufacturing engineers behind the production plays a vital role in deciding the vehicle’s weight.
Below is a brief list of the popular minivan models with their weight:
- Kia Sedona: 4,760 lbs
- Toyota Sienna: 4600 to 4720 lbs
- Mercedes Benz Metris (Passanger Model:) 4850 lbs
- Dodge Grand Caravan: 4600 lbs
- Ford Transit Connect: 3600 lbs
- Chrysler Pacifica H: 63,000 lbs
In addition, almost all of the trim levels and latest generations of the producing company weigh the same. Although this is a rough analysis, the car production mechanism works.
Studies suggest that 80% of the latest editions of Kia Carnival weigh the same.
Some Interesting Facts About Minivans’ Weight
- Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid is the heaviest minivan. It has a gross weight of 6,300 pounds and 5,000 lbs curb weight. Surprisingly enough, it is also one of the fuel-friendly minivans in the market today.
- Ford Transit Connect is a minivan with the lightest weight. It has an estimated gross weight of 3600 lbs.
- On average, minivans carry from 1200 to 1800 lbs weight. Yet again, Chrysler is today’s heaviest weight carrier.
- In the early twentieth century, Henry Ford was the first to produce the lightest weighted minivan. By then, it was popularly known as “Light Duty Van.”
Minivans are manufactured both in light and heavyweight. Some of the minivan manufacturers tend to produce giant and cargo vehicles, which results in the heavyweight of the minivan.
So how much does a minivan weigh? Well, an average minivan weighs roughly 3850 to 4950 lbs. Take the 2022 Chrysler Voyager as an example.
However, minivans that weigh under 40,000 lbs are light-weighted. If you are more into light-weighted minivans, Ford Transit Connect is the best option for you, and it weighs roughly 3600 lbs.
On the other hand, minivans that weigh above 50,000 lbs are the heaviest. With heavyweight comes greater performance, features, and service.
For instance, you can have a smooth and pleasantly comfortable drive with eight passengers. At the same time, you can carry all the goods in the cargo.
You have got our vote for the 2022 Chrysler Pacifica if you are after such a high-performing minivan. It weighs roughly 6300 lbs and has ample space and a lavish interior.