When it comes to luxury cars many people will people know a few things about models, such as Mercedez Benz, Rolls-Royce, Peugeot, Ford, Mercedes Maybach, Audi, and Innoson’s G20.
It seems many people forget about the super luxurious car brand known as Bentley. Bentley cars have long been a model of luxury vehicle that many people have dreamed to have, or at least drive, in their lifetime.
There are some interesting facts that we have discovered about the Bentley brand that we’ll share with you.
1) Walter Owen Bentley was the founder of Bentley Motors back in 1919. He was a well known British engineer and constructor or engines for both cars and air-crafts. He also loved to race motorcycles and cars. W. O. Bentley had a mission statement that still holds true to this day, ?To build a good car, a fast car, the best in its class?
2) The first Bentley brand automobile to be created was the EXP 1, which was made in 1920. It’s predecessor, the EXP 2, was the second of its type to ever be built. It’s not only Bentley’s oldest surviving car, but it was also the very first to win a race.
3) Many recognize Bentley’s ornaments, the flying B. The ?B? of course stands for Bentley, and the surrounding silver wings were meant to signify the speed of the car. In the late 1920s, this ornament first graced Bentley’s 6 ? Liter model.
4) On modern Bentley’s the hood ornament was designed to retract into the hood during an accident. This was done so that a person would not be injured by the hood ornament.
5) Bentley’s Dominator SUV was created as a luxury 4-wheel drive sports utility vehicle. It was built on the chassis of a Range Rover. In 1994, a special build was done for the Sultan of Brunei, of 6 Dominator SUV’s in 6 different colors. Each SUV cost ?3 million (close to 4 million in USD). The Sultan was once known as the richest man in the world and was said to own hundreds of Rolls-Royce autos.
6) In 1998, the Bentley brand was acquired by the Volkswagen Group, who also runs a number of well-known brands, such as Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche, Skoda, Bugatti, Scania, MAN, and SEAT.
7) The first mass-produced SUV that Bentley created was its Bentayga. The ultra-luxurious SUV has a powerful W12 600 horsepower engine that can reach top speeds of 187 miles per hour and can go to 60 miles per hour in just 4 seconds. It has 5 doors, is all-wheel drive, and starts at a whopping $195,000.
8) In 2002, Bentley created an official armored state-car, the Bentley State Limousine, for the occasion of Queen Elizabeth II’s Golden Jubilee. The Queen owns 2 of these, each being valued at ?10 million (12.5 million USD). The state-cars have powerful twin-turbocharged Rolls-Royce/Bentley v8 6.75 liter engines.
9) Some of the more well-known models of the past include the Azure, Continental, and Arnage. Bentley’s current line-up includes the Flying Spur sedan, Mulsanne, Bentayga SUV and its newest model, the New Continental GT.
10) 2019 marks Bentley’s 100th Year anniversary. All car models for 2019 will have special Centenary Badges to celebrate the occasion.
11) Building a Bentley model car takes a lot of care and time. A Continental GT, for example, takes about 110 hours to build. Models such as the Bentayga and the Continental Flying Spur sedan take about 130 hours. But the most time-consuming model is the Mulsanne, which takes 400 hours to build from start to finish.
12) In one day, an average of twenty-six Continental Flying Spurs and Continentals, thirty-one Bentaygas, and Five Mulsannes are built. To build just one W12engine takes around 30 engineers and nearly 14 hours. To complete the Mulsanne’s interior trim takes around 5 days.
So, the next time you find your self in a conversation about luxury cars, mention the interesting facts you now know about the good old Bentley.